I’ve been languishing at home for most the day today as I woke up feeling pretty wretched. I think I probably have the flu, given my feverish state. Anyway, I haven’t blogged in over a week now so I will post something short and tasty today as I continue to rest up.
A couple weeks ago, I bought some chicken thighs as they were on sale at the local grocery store. I did my usual online recipe search as well as flipping through a few of my cookbooks. After coming across this recipe for “oven-fried chicken thighs with buttermilk-mustard sauce,” I decided to try my own take on this. I also made a fig and goat cheese salad as a side dish. I thought the results were quite tasty even if it wasn’t the healthiest of meals!
Ingredients for Oven-Fried Chicken:
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan (optional – I would personally leave this out next time as I felt it was a bit overpowering.)
- Approx. 1 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 8 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 8 skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the buttermilk, salt, pepper, mustard, and honey in a shallow bowl.
- Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in another shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in the buttermilk mixture and let sit for a few minutes while preparing a baking sheet.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After dredging in the buttermilk mixture, roll the chicken in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip chicken.
- Bake for another 15 minutes (or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees).
Ingredients for Fig and Goat Cheese Salad:
- 4-6 figs
- Approx. 2 tbsp goat cheese (or however much you like)
- A couple handfuls of mixed spring greens
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add mixed spring greens to a large bowl.
- Wash, half, and slice the figs. Add these to the spring greens
- Crumble goat cheese on top of salad.
- To make dressing whisk, balsamic vinegar, honey, and olive oil together.
- Add to salad and toss.