I know I’ve shared another pressure cooker beef short ribs recipe before but I don’t think it hurts to share another tasty one! I’ve tried this recipe twice now and it was delicious both times! I found this in my copy of Pressure Cooker Perfection from America’s Test Kitchen and followed it closely with just minor adjustments. The same recipe can also be found on the Cook’s Illustrated website.
Even though I’m the one who loves to cook (unless it involves grilling something on a barbecue grill), I sometimes think that my husband loves cooking utensils and equipment more than (or at least as much!) as I do. His idea of a nice and spontaneous present for me often involves something I can use in the kitchen. Take note of the following three pieces of evidence:
Exhibit A: Hubby came home one day and announced (like he does once in awhile) that he had picked up a gift for me on the way home from work. He was grinning and, overall, looked very happy about the aforementioned gift. He then proudly presented me with a bright orange (a colour he loves) cast iron pizza pan.
Exhibit B: In a repeat of the above story, Hubby came home another day and also announced in a very pleased fashion that he had picked up a small gift for me. He then proudly presented me with two cute bright orange (of course) mini casserole dishes aka cocottes.
Exhibit C: While on a trip during this past Winter Break to Washington, D.C. and Pittsburgh, my husband and I visited a number of outlet malls. At one of these malls, we wandered into a Le Creuset store hoping to find a large stockpot to buy as a gift for one of my uncles who had showed up at our family holiday party with a gigantic potful of delicious seafood chowder (his specialty). The pot had a huge crack in it and the lid kept falling off. We were unable to find a pot of appropriate size for him but my husband was very taken by a bright orange (of course) stockpot. Guess what happened next?
Anyway, back to the recipe!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used Canola oil since that is the closest thing I had available at home.)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (2-inch) piece of ginger , peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and smashed
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce (I did not have any hoisin sauce at home so I followed this recipe to make some using peanut butter, among other ingredients.)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry sherry (I didn’t have any sherry so I used a random bottle of brandy from my husband’s collection.)
- 4 scallions, white parts chopped coarse, green parts sliced thin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I didn’t add this as I was worried about spiciness.)
- 6 (8-ounce) boneless beef short ribs, trimmed (I had way more than this amount and used it successfully anyway. You may have to adjust by adding more of the other ingredients. I just guessed at the amounts!)
- 2 tbsp fresh minced cilantro
NOTE: You need to make sure there is enough liquid in the pressure cooker so it doesn’t run dry towards the end. I had a bit of a beef-sticking-to-bottom-of-pressure-cooker problem the second time I made this dish. It was not fun to clean the pressure cooker after that!