I love eggplant! Strangely, I remember that I wasn’t so crazy about it when I was a kid. Now I am happy to eat it in a variety of forms: grilled during a BBQ in the summer, in baba ganoush, in stews, in eggplant parmesan – You name it! I have to say though that one of my favourite ways to eat it is in a classic Chinese dish that consists of eggplant, tofu, and ground pork. This is a great combination of flavours that really complement each other. A couple months ago, I decided that I wanted to make this dish at home instead of just ordering it at a Chinese restaurant like I often do. After doing a quick search online, I can across this recipe (from the Slice of Rice blog) and decided to more or less follow it. I only made slight changes to the ingredients according to what I had available to me at the time.
I’m pretty happy with how this dish turned out and will definitely be making it again! Yum!
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes (I would have used Chinese eggplant but I wasn’t able to find those at my local supermarket that day. If I had used Chinese eggplant, I would have used 2 medium sized ones, quartered them, then cut them into 2-inch long strips.)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cool water
- 1 (generous) tsp cornstarch
- kosher salt
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- Drain tofu then place on paper towels. Place another paper towel on top of the tofu and weigh it down with a heavy cutting board. Wait around 10 minutes. This will help to soak up any extra water. Cut up the tofu into 3/4-inch slices.
- Heat wok or pan to medium-high heat then add vegetable oil. Add a single layer of tofu to hot pan and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown all over.
- Remove to clean plate and set aside.
- Add an additional 1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil to the wok or pan. Add the cubed eggplant and stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown. Set aside on the plate with the tofu or another clean plate.
- Add the ground pork and sauté for about 2 minutes or until browned. Add the minced garlic and ginger then stir-fry for an additional 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir to combine. Whisk together water and corn starch in a small bowl. Add to wok/pan and simmer on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add eggplant and tofu then simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Add scallions and sesame oil then stir to combine.
- Enjoy with other dishes and rice of your choice to have a delicious Chinese family-style dinner!